|Longwood House - 1800's Click on the picture above to see a larger rib cage
Information on Longwood House extracted from the History, Gazetter and Directory of Hampshire & IOW Published by William White in 1859.
Rosehill, formerly called Longwood House, an ancient mansion in a park of about 100 acres, 5 miles SE of Winchester, is the seat and property of the Earl of Northesk, and Baron Rosehill of Scotland, whose father, the late Earl, was a distinguished Admiral, the third in command at the battle of Trafalgar, and obtained this estate by marrying the daughter of the late William Henry Ricketts, Esq;
He was the seventh Earl of Northesk, and changed the name of his seat from Longwood to his secondary title. About the beginning of the last century it was the seat of Lord Carpenter, a distinguished general who rose from the ranks to the top of his profession and a peerage.
In the late 1920 – 30’s, the then Duke and Duchess of York, together with Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, were often visitors at Longwood House for weekend shooting parties.
The Royal Family was at Longwood Hose the weekend before the Abdication of King Edward VIII. The following week, the Duke of York became King George VI. Young relatives of staff working there were often smuggled in to see the Royal Party.
A Methodist Chapel was situated by the Dower House; the 'big' house had its own Roman Catholic Church in the house itself. The house had in its grounds, a very fine cricket pitch, which rivalled any for miles around. Here, the village team played alternately with the Marwell Hall ground.
Owslebury was surrounded on all sides by troops preparing for D. Day. Longwood itself had many troops under canvas in its woods, and was requisitioned in WWII for American troops, and left a virtual ruin, after they, and other troops billeted there left.
Marwell – out of bounds to villagers until the end of WWII was an airfield. Here American planes, Airacobra and Tomahawk after arriving in crates at Southampton Docks, were assembled, Spitfires were repaired.
Planes were flown out of Marwell by ATA (Air Transport Auxiliary).
Out of 600 of these pilots over 100 were women. By 1944 over 2,000 aircraft a month were coming out of factories and repair units. Marwell was one of many used.
Longwood was demolished in the 1970's. Thieves and vandals had stripped the building of valuable material, and it was deemed unsafe.